Friday, September 29, 2006

The world hates me :(

I did my presentation for somebody else's supervisor today (seeing a pattern here? anybody?). The whole group was really nice although my presentation was pretty far from what it needs to be. They even took me through it slide by slide, mentioning everything, from changing fonts and recentering pictures, to changing entire slides.

After that I fed animals and then got to work. Luke got me an awesome map (thanks Luke!) and I redid almost all the formatting stuff, which just leaves graphs for tomorrow. Then things started to go nasty.

The iguana went psycho again. Everybody else went home. And my flashdrive crashed.

The annoying thing is that I almost never work right off my flash, I work on the actual computer, but because I was planning on leaving soon and bringing it home with me...

the entire flashdrive lost everything. I even looked at properties and it said it was all free space. So I ejected it and it said it was ejected, but the light was flashing. So I pulled it out and put it back in again and it recovered most of the stuff. I'm not sure if anything's missing yet. But in the slide-show all the work I'd been doing was gone. All that was left of it was the new graph.

So I was really really angry (weird how people failing you makes you sad, but technology breaking down makes you angry. Especially considering that breaking technology is a result of people letting you down), and I decided I didn't care and went home.

When I got home my dad arrived suddenly and said we were going out for dinner. That was the cue for him and my mom to start fighting, so we had a rather frosty meal and came home.

As I got home I got an sms from my supervisor to say that he was having trouble downloading my presentation. I sent it to him on Wednesday morning. My presentation is on Monday. And he waits until now to try and look at it?

So I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and try zip it and sent it again. So I smsed him to say I'd try again and it should be there in a few minutes, and got a message back saying: 'Sure. But if u are happy with it thats also okay' in other words 'I don't care about the fact that I promised you'd be my number one priority once I got back from sabbatical. I don't care that I'm away during your big presentation. I'd rather not be involved in your project. My work is far more interesting than yours.' and so on.

I'm so angry right now. I'm sorry, if you're going to take on a student, then you should be prepared to do it properly. I'm not saying don't do any of your own work, but the other people who are away right now are all on huge international conferences. A couple even sent us their apologies that they couldn't make it. I'm so sick and tired of this 'she's calm and independent' attitude. I want someone who will actually do what they promised.

He got so upset that toher people were trying to 'steal' me. My feelings right now are: I want Thursday meetings. I want someone who replies when I email. I want someone who will talk through my stats with me so I don't have to redo it 12 times over a period of 3 months before I figure out what I'm doing.

I'm overreacting, I'm sorry. I'm just stressed. I'm sure I'll be a lot calmer by the time I start my masters. Let just hope I get to go to Edinburgh so I won't be around long enough to strangle the guy!!!

0 comments: