Friday, September 22, 2006

It's all in the mind (insert weird finger movement here)

Yesterday, while I was semi-doing stats, I had the world's worst headache. It was horrible, I even used some of the snake-lab's extra-strength disprin and it didn't help.

Basically yesterday was just a full-blown awful day. I didn't manage any stats until about 2 hours before hand-in and finally I just handed in half a good project that I've been working on for ages and the other half was literally thrown together in a hour. I even used stats to prove that analysing my other data would be useless.

We also had a lot of admin to do because to display live animals you need animal ethics clearance, so we started doing the paperwork, but I decided that we would call it off and eventually Luke agreed. We have to tell the committee, whichshould be interesting, but considering that the people who were put in charge of the stand hadn't even started on cleaning a tank for them (which is all thatwe asked the to do), I'm pretty sure it was a good call. I just don't like to be responsible for someone else's animals when I'm not able to be there all the time.

Anyway I got home at about 6, and fell onto my bed and carried on reading a book that I always regret reading because it's so sad, but invariably carry on reading regardless. http://www.amazon.com/April-Fools-Day-Modern-Story/dp/0433397101/sr=1-9/qid=1158910702/ref=sr_oe_9_1/104-0393552-8308747?ie=UTF8&s=books

It's by Bryce Courtenay, who is one of my favourite authors, an dhe talks about his son who was born a haemophiliac and then gets HIV through a blood transfusion.

Anyway, maybe because I was reading about someone in terrible pain, my ehadache vanished. This morning my head was fine and I got up and came to wits. A block before I got here, my head started hurting, and I ended up sitting in my car in the parking area for about 20 minutes because I couldn't bring myself to walk up the hill and sit here all day. It's feeding day too, which means I'll be terribly busy all day and not actually get anything done. I also don't want to go to the unit because there's a possibility that one or two of the animals will have been euthenased and that's horrible.

So it's not a good day right now, I think I might just feed the animals and then go home. Except that I have a huge amount of work to do at the moment and that's a bad idea.

It's day 26 in a row at wits today.

Here's another photo from Dublin zoo.

3 comments:

sarah said...

shame hels! ;( i hate headaches. if you want i have some great pain pills in my wallet? they pretty much cure everything that disprin & panado just dont touch.

on a brighter note - your stats was just a draft, right? so you'll get it back and whatever they dont think is brilliantm, you 'll still be able to fix!

s'all good!

Helen said...

thanks, I was thinking I'll go to campus health and whine until they give me something powerful. Do you think they'll make me pay for it? I really don't feel like putting money on my student card.

I guess I could always drink coffee before I go there and then the inevitable passing out could get me something...

Still no sign of the missing test subject.

Still no reply from the supervisor...

coincidence?

Luke said...

Helen!

We forgot to blog about vanessa's rude note! CRISIS!!!