Friday, September 11, 2009

To be perfectly honest...

I'm not so sure that I deserve it, but I am honoured to receive the Honest Scrapper award from the awesome Kath

It's pretty...

And with everything being mildly hectic here at the moment, it makes today's post slightly simpler! Thanks Kath!

So apparently the rules are that i get to pass it on to seven people who have blogs that 'post from the heart' (as opposed to the kidneys) and then I have to write about me (yay!) or rather list ten honest things about me (oh dear).

Here goes:

  1. Suvvygirl - Suvvygirl lives in the US, and although we're very similar in age she has a husband, two kids, and a heck of a lot of wisdom! We started exchanging emails a while back and she is the one I go to whenever I need her services as a handy advice columnist (without the column). On the plus side she's far away enough that there are no repercussions to her knowing a lot more about my personal life than most people... Her blog is always entertaining as she tells stories of trying to handle playing in a pool league, working, sorting out the love-lives of her closest friends and trying to raise two kids who aren't always the most cooperative.
  2. Tamara - Tamara is a journalist, and her writing is incredible! Shes entertaining while still describing issues like rude waiters, nasty doctors, the fun and games of freelance work and life in general. I was lucky enough to snag an invitation to her birthday party a while ago and was amazed at the amount of energy coming from such a little person!
  3. Po - I LOVE her blog, she's such a quirky and funny writer, and always has a different perspective on things. As for honesty well as someone who loves South Africa (even if I don't always love living here) I have really felt for her as she struggles to adjust to living in the UK.
  4. Becca - I just started reading Becca's blog, and i find it really interesting. Besides having a strong faith and a close-knit family, she has interests in football and shopping and shoes - and we must love a girl who has a balanced idea of fun! Particularly one who isn't afraid to talk about all of it! She also gives great life-lesson advice.
  5. Skinny Bitches in the Making - this blog has two authors (which is why I'm counting it as two awards. Wouldn't want them to fight!) and it's one of my favourites! They have plans and ambitions and longing to be the capetonian sex & the city girls, and they're totally honest about it! They aren't afraid to write about hopes and dreams - even if it's something like being photographed by a style guru, saving money on lattes or figuring out how to have fun on a 2-minute noodle budget (at the end of the month at least. I feel their pain on this one!).
  6. see above
  7. The mutton-chopped mutant - Read at your peril as this guy is very VERY honest (and a bit too much so for my delicate brain sometimes) but always entertaining and very different!

So that took longer than I thought... so, ten things about me...

  1. I've been teaching for 5 years and although I'm the tough one who makes the students get over their fear of insects, slimy stuff and dead things, all of the above kind of freak me out. I hide it well, but seriously, one look at a Parktown Prawn and I do a fantastic Madam & Eve re-enactment.
  2. I found a grey hair this morning and it totally ruined my day.
  3. I've never been a girly girl, but lately I've found that putting in a bit of effort really improves my self-image - I do it for ME because I want to.
  4. I did Scottish Dancing when I was little and sucked at it. I did ballet and it wasn't much better. I ice-skated for two years and kind of hit a progress-wall. The only sport I was vaguely good at was hockey because I didn't mind being whacked in the shins by players 4 years older than me (there wasn't a team for my age-group at one stage so I was put in with the older group). There's a lot to be said for stubbornness in sport!
  5. When I was younger I was so shy I used to get left behind on fieldtrips, locked in classrooms and generally ignored. I used this to my advantage by getting myself locked in the classroom and using the time to out-read my entire grade 3 class.
  6. I HATE not winning anything. Even board games (although I'm getting better with them).
  7. I've never wanted to get married or have children, but lately the idea isn't as repulsive to me as it was. this freaks me out completely.
  8. I love getting dirty as long as there's somewhere to clean up. The minute there is no shower or change of clothes I get upset and refuse to do anything that might involve dirt.
  9. I used to be terrified of heights, but I got over it to chase lizards. I have never jumped off a high-dive board (which is where I discovered my fear in the first place).
  10. I seem to attract mentors/parent-figures. People seem to like helping me and I'm never sure why, but I do appreciate it and I love all of them!

8 comments:

Skinny Bitches in the Making said...

Thanks so much for saying such nice things about us and making us blush! cannot wait to do this post. hope you have an amazing weekend!

po said...

Oooh thank you for your very kind words. I would really love your brownie recipe, it took me TWO days to cook those bloody brownies. The recipe said cook for 15 minutes. I cooked mine over two days for hours, and they finally became a bit solid. I need a better recipe!

Kath Lockett said...

Well done mate!

Oh and I'm so with you on point number eight... I can do anything during the day *IF* there's a hot shower and comfy bed at the end of it.

Mademoiselle Deva said...

congrats on your award!! Well I bet you deserve it!

xoxo deva!

The Mutant said...

I'd just like to thank god, and the academy and - Oh my god, I shou;d have prepared some notes!

Really, you think I'm that good! Holy shit! Thank you so much!

Helen said...

Skinnybitches; It's all true! I can't wait to read it!

Po: No problem! I'll send it to you as soon as I have time to breathe!

Kath: I know! Showers really do have magical properties!

Deva: thanks!

Mutant: Of course you are! And you can use guyliner, I mean what's not to love?

EEbEE said...

gray hair is a sign of wisdom.

I (apparently) don't have any...

i did have a brilliant red hair in my beard once. it never grew back though. you could always pull a Dax with your collection of grays...

Tamara said...

Awww... Thanks, Helen.

Loved your random things. I too don't jump off of high diving boards. I love heights, but I'm scared of deep water ;-)