Saturday, August 01, 2009

Tales of a lab-monkey

So I spent yesterday in the lab, all dressed up in the world's biggest
labcoat (I LOVE it! I can wear a full trenchcoat under it and it's
still too big!) prepping samples...

I kind of got into a 'zone' where I was totally focussed on what I was
doing and towards the end I noticed that I was tired, my shoulders
ached, my back was stiff, my ankle was NOT impressed with me, my right
hand was cramping from pipetteing, my left hand was numb from the
vortex.

I put my samples in to incubate and tried to guess what the time was.
I'd started at about 8:30, and done 150 tubes, most of them i'd
diluted in other tubes first...

I'd heard people chatting, so maybe it was lunch? 12? 1pm?

Guess again, I looked at my phone and almost passed out- 14:37- i'd
been pipetteing for over 6 hours!

What with the 3 hour incubation, I've left the rest of that lab test for monday!

Happy weekend!

0 comments: