Wednesday, August 19, 2009

If only it came in yellow

Well Spring is officially here! Well it's freezing, the wind is trying to remove the roof from the house and I'm layered up like a champion, but our apricot tree is blossoming and along with it I have the age-old symptom of impending Springness (no not a heart full of warm and fuzzy feelings...) HAYFEVER!
 
I ran into an old classmate today and she was suffering from party-induced laryngitis (really) and I was sniffling and talking like Macy Gray (I try to walk away and I stumble...) and we got to see the medical students' complete swine-flu paranoia kick in. At least I HOPE it's hayfever, I have no time to be sick right now!
 
Anyway I thought I should say thanks to all you bloggers who were so nice to me after my last post. I haven't gone the chocolate milkshake route for fear of adding milk-products to my rather busy sinuses, but I DID have a chocolate croissant today! And it was really nice! And I barely went to gym, so maybe I'm on my way back to couch-potatoeness after all...
 
For the record, plan C sucked so I have plan D and E worked out, and I'm just waiting for the crazy Russian to get back from his dentist appointment tomorrow to decide which one is better. The superV and I will have our yelling match early next week. Deep breaths Helen, you can do it!
 
Did I mention how hard it is to go from super-stressed and functioning on less than two hours of sleep to learning new things in tai chi? Whooo-boy was I a dumb blonde on Tuesday night! I tried practising and got stuck, so I'm hoping the others can help me tomorrow night and I won't end up back in beginner-beginners!
 
So in the spirit of taking my mind off things I spent today in the guise of a lab-monkey doing the rest of the labwork that I started two weeks ago. It went suspiciously well (except for one minor-mishap where (while being uber-careful and not taking the usual physiologist shortcut of squirting  the radioactive stuff on the ceiling) I managed to misalign the tissue paper and... you know when you put your hand over a hosepipe at just the right angle? It was less than 1 ml, and I doused myself in water immediately and changed my labcoat and jacket, so I hope it's ok...
 
Oh, and I figured out how to use the thingamajig (I think it's called a stepper-pipette? Po?) which is basically a mega-pipette you fill up and then it has special attachments that you can set how much it dispenses with each click. I think it shaved about two hours off my lab-time! I used it before but only for the radioactive stuff and I'd got the guy helping me to set it up, but today I figured out that if you read the labels it's actually relatively simple. As the title says, I would marry it if only it came in yellow. Either way I wasn't a total wreck at the end of the day!
 
I like yellow! My test-tubes are yellow, my pipette-tips are yellow, my bedroom walls are yellow... why did they have to make the super-amazing thingamajig blue? sad times...
 
So tomorrow it's off to get the results (lets hope there's no more law-of-physics-defying results) sort out the details for plans D and E (and maybe make plan F?), organise with the Russian, sort out the undergrad I'm supervising, write protocols for the stuff that applies to her, try and figure out tai chi (before the actual lesson) and cut down on the coffee because it's been making me feel sick lately...
 
Sounds like a plan!

5 comments:

po said...

I have possibly used a stepper before, did it look similar to a gilson only with beeeg tips? The one I used was so freaking annoying cos it leaked everywhere. I have no idea what it is really called, your name is good!

The Mutant said...

That is totally a plan. I have no idea about most of what you just said, but yellow is nice, huh? Ha ha ha.

Helen said...

Po: kind of, but it's sort of square and it has huge tips that have gradings and stuff on them. I'll try and get a picture when I got to the radiaton-room of horror today!

Mutant: Yellow is nice. And considering everything I might be joining you in the mutant community soon (if my skills with radioactive stuff don't improve drastically...)

Cinema Minima said...

Better you than me. It all sounds very busy, but terribly interesting with the lizards and the science and the quest for yellowness. I look forward to learning more about it.

Tamara said...

Mwahahaha... terrible as it sounds, this swine flu paranoia can be quite entertaining.

I love yellow flowers (so happy), but that's about as far as my yellow-loving goes.