Thursday, July 23, 2009

We aren't really that crazy...

So last night I had a HORRIBLE dream and once I woke up I sent messages off to two people outlining the awfulness to them. They replied with their dreams, which made me realise just how often I swap dream stories with people.

Luke and Leia and I had planned on having a discussion on music in order to show all you people out there that we aren't all that crazy, but after about half an hour of trying to get Luke to stop working and come and talk to us (he kept saying "I'll be right there... " and then he'd start something new... it was lunchtime! You're not supposed to work during lunch!) so that we could record something before our labmate comes back. So of course half a minute into it the labmate appeared so you can hear him wandering around.

I hope you can understand us, I tend to talk pretty fast and the others don't sit still very often so it can distort... The picture isn't really significant, it just wouldn't load without an image so I put one in...

Oh, and besides the fact that I speakk faaster than I should, what it the general verdict on our accents? Luke and I have both been told that we don't sound very South African, so do we all sound like we've spent most of our lives in Joburg? Or has the accent been educated out of us?

Anyway if you're brave enough you can hear about:

1. each of us has a weird dream story from last night, and Leia added one in from last week where her tooth looked lie a carrot inside (?).
2. The aftermath of our first ever experience with doctor pepper.
3. The return of stationary to the rightful owners.
4. The horror of Lady Gaga songs being stuck in your head.
5. My realisation that I can smell and taste in dreams!
6. The evilness of our security gate.
7.The awesomeness of 2-ply lab paper!

In other news I had an amazing meeting with a collaborator/mentor this morning and I was so excited! I should be getting a huge load of lab work done really soon!
And, being a Thursday I thought I would mention some of the fabulous 90's songs that shaped out childhoods (is that a real word?

Do you remember:
The Chemical Brothers: hey boy, hey girl!
I hated this song SO much! This lead to a big debate in the lab about whether the songs on the list had to be things we had enjoyed, or just songs that were influential. The jury is still out on it.

And based on our discussion last time, bearing in mind that my labmates have yet to see Centre Stage (which was a bit part of my teenager-dom), I feel that I must mention:

The Red Hot Chili Peppers: Under the bridge.

This was one of my favourite songs when I was younger, it made me feel all rebellious and cool. The fact that I had a mega crush on the lead singer didn't hurt either.

And, for the purposes of being stuck in your head for the next few days... do you remember this one? I had completely forgotten about it until we stumbled across it the other day:


5 comments:

Janine / Being Brazen said...

I SO get horrible lady gaga songs stuck in my head too often

PS - fun song choices :)

Skinny Bitches in the Making said...

i searched for that shanks and bigfoot song for ages. I listen to it all the time. I was in standard 5 when that song came out. memories!

po said...

Ok wait I have not listened to the whole thing but to me you guys sound sooo South African, and sooo Joburg, but not in the Seoufff Effriken kind of way, but in the "English Joburger" mild accent kind of way. But still totally South African. It is great!

Gonna go listen now.

Helen said...

Being Brazen: thanks!i ahve yet to ehar anything by Lady Gaga and I'm trying very hard to keep it that way!

Skinny Bitches: I think I had just started high school, but I LOVED it!

Po: thanks! I get asked y south africans if I'm English or American regularly, but as soon as I'm in the uk I hear myself talking and just... flinch! but english people don't seem to notice :)

Tamara said...

Hehehe... thanks for thr trip down memory lane. My ultimate 90s album has to be Picture This by Wet Wet Wet.

I feel it in my fingers... I feel it in my toes...