Monday, July 27, 2009

The dangers of being female

So on Sunday I wound up helping out at the video store and as Josh had his super-stylish netbook with him (I want one!) I got to pick the movie. We wound up watching this:



Josh was quite nice about letting me watch it, and by halfway into it he was watching as much as I was! He explained it in two ways:

1. One day he's going to have a girlfriend who is going to want him to sit through chick-flicks so he might as well get used to it now (not bad for an 18-year-old!)
2. Apparently guys like chick-flicks as much as girls, they just won't admit it. I'm not so sure I agree with that, but anyway...


All I can say about the movie is that I am SO glad I can laugh at myself! I'm typically not the kind of girl who behaves like that, but I could identify quite strongly with some of the stuff going on. There were moments that I cringed and hid my face a little bit though. And I agree, girls are the worst friends sometimes!


I mean, why is it that we have to tell our friends what they want to hear? And we get upset when friends are actually honest... I'm lucky in that my friends are mostly relatively honest with me, and I know who I can trust when it comes to opinions, but at the same time I know that sometimes I will ask people for an opinion, and I'll keep asking different people until I get told what I want to hear...


I suppose we're a bit doomed to pretend until 'the real thing' comes along. I kind of liked that take home message, that maybe YOU are what you're looking for. I'd hate to be someone who needed a guy to feel complete, and sometimes staying in a relationship because you don't know what to do otherwise can be the worst thing ever!


What do you know, I may just be female after all!

Does that mean next time I meet someone I won't: check my phone constantly, worry about missing a call if I'm in the shower and then not answer it if it does ring because I'm too worried about what I might say?

I'll do my best! And at least I know I'm not alone! And if the worst comes to the worst, I have friends who will tell me that he's:

  • Lost my number
  • Moved to Guatemala
  • Is afraid to phone
  • Is worrying about what to say
  • Doesn't want to call too early
  • Is afraid he left it too late
  • Or my favourite: He's insecure because you're so wonderful!

Girls are dangerous friends, but I love them anyway!

9 comments:

Janine / Being Brazen said...

girls are dangerous

Skinny Bitches in the Making said...

I love the "he's insecure cos you're so wonderful"!
I also look for a second opinion when the first is something i don't want to hear. it's easier to justify something if someone else backs you up. and we all have so many different friends that one of them is bound to back us up. isn't any wonder girls are so messed up and we can't even blame it one men!

EEbEE said...

RE. Guys secretly liking chick flicks...

NEVER!!! Why oh why spend 90+ minutes watching a movie only to find out that nobody actually dies in the end... also all that smooching it just dead boring... chick flicks need more trigger happy snipers, then i would happily watch (i should make my own movies!).

i wouldn't subject myself to a chick flick! not while there are relatively better alternatives to passing ones time e.g. hitting your head against a wall, stepping in dog poop, flossing teeth...

po said...

I havent seen that but it sounds interesting. Girls are soooo complicated, friendships with other girls are hard. But then, relationships with boys are hard too, so maybe we should stick to ourselves?!

The Mutant said...

Personally I've decided to circumvent the whole shemozzle. I don't ask real people for their opinions anymore, I've created a league of super-awesome imaginary friends who always compliment my hair/clothes and tell me exactly what I want to hear!

Kath Lockett said...

I have to admit to not seeing the movie but Love Chunks told me years ago that for all the over-analysing, discussion and angst we girls have over whether a guy likes us or not, guys "Usually have to be clubbed over the head to get the idea that you like us. Try turning up naked with a slab of beer under your arm."

sarah said...

helen! i think i can comment?
testing testing

sarah said...

i caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

yes yes. girls. sigh. but i think thats what makes us all try to be better people and better friends. so we are given the same kind of friendship in return

xx love you hels

Olga said...

Hi Helen! You definitely raised very valid points there. I have also seen the movie not long ago. And your second point about guys is also soo true!! They just don't like to admit they like the same things as we - girls - do! I think an important thing to think about after watching the movie is also that sometimes it is worth to be honest with oneself and not listen to people who are emotionally involved with us and want to calm us down by providing false hopes unintentionally ;)