Monday, July 20, 2009

Getting things done

So in a fit of good admin-Karma (and long may it continue!) I went to see a physicist today who was really really nice, super-helpful and has basically said that once I submit my forms I will be able to start the next phase of labwork! And I contacted the guy who runs that lab I'll be using and he was really helpful (although in his case it was only surprising becasue he agreed to let me use his lab about two years ago and I haven't been able to get through the red-tape until now. He's always been incredibly nice to me).
 
I also planned a meeting for tomorrow with one of the undergrads who is going to be doing a project using some of my data which should make my life easier in the long-run (there's a lot of computer work that needs doing and I wouldn't mind having someone else doing the clicking), as well as getting some extra teaching experience which is always a plus!
 
I've been panicking because there's some super-urgent labwork that has been delayed for over a year which is incredibly urgent now as I have to be done in six weeks time in order to go back out to catch lizards in time. The lady who originally agreed to help me pretty much vanished off the face of the earth about 18 months ago and I haven't been able to track her down. So, walking back from an accidental meeting inwhich I had to explain all the creepinesses of the farmhouse to our HOD who apparently fixed the toilet and the leaky gas pipes a few weeks ago (score!) guess who I run into in the passage?
 
Well not run into as much as see her talking to two other members of staff, so I got Luke and Leia to stand in the passage and make conversation with me until their little group broke up, when I ran and intercepted her and had a long long conversation where she was incredibly helpful and it looks like I might make it in time!
 
And as it happens the 'easier' method I was thinking of using looks like it may be easier after all and I will be able to use it, which makes my last phase of labwork a little bit less stressful!
 
So everyone, PLEASE think good admin-karma thoughts for me for the next while, I really need things to carry on going well! I don't want to be doing this PhD still ten years down the line (particularly not if I'm going to change the world, but I will explain that tomorrow... duh duh DUHHHHHHN! Cliffhanger!)

6 comments:

po said...

Go Helen go, the sdmin force is strong with you!

You gonna save the world with mutant lizards that photosynthesise?

Kath Lockett said...

Good admin/karma thoughts are currently being beamed (via cyberspace) to you from Melbourne. Is that OK?

sarah said...

Good admin karma beaaaaam!!!!!

EEbEE said...

Helen saves the world...

I'll buy it. so spill the beans already! what's your plan?!

i would guess some sort of photosynthetically driven rickshaw...

...yes definitely a rickshaw of some sort.

pulled by po's mutant lizards (heheheee)

sorry i'm drifting.

good luck with that.

Janine / Being Brazen said...

oooh, a cliffhanger....

Sending good vibes your way.

Skinny Bitches in the Making said...

sending you some karma and fabulosity. cos who doesn't need some fabulousness once and awhile.