Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Of course it’s phylogenetic constraint. Duh!

So during a discussion on nerdishness vs geekiness the other day I came across this article and found myself nodding and giggling a little bit too much.

Anywhere here is a section that I found quite interesting:

What Type of Nerd Are You?Mad Scientists
Description: You can't mess with the original. These are the chemists, engineers, physicists and other general crazies who are more comfortable in the controlled confines of the lab than in the messy, messy real world. However, they are responsible for the food we eat, the cars we drive, and the drugs we take—even sometimes the illegal ones. Without them, we'd still be using stone wheels and struggling to start a campfire with a flint. They are our saviors, but total bores at dinner parties.
Substrata: Mathematicians, Pharmacologists, Bio Researchers
Gathering Place: American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) annual meeting
Knows Way Too Much Useless Information About: You wouldn't even understand it if we told you. Idiot.
Eagerly Anticipating: When the Large Hadron Collider finally works

Which makes me worry… am I really boring at dinner parties? Personally I find myself a bit tedious at times, but for some reason people seem to like hearing about ladies with leafblowers and crazy crocodile hunters and stuff…

6 comments:

Kirsty said...

Hooray for nerdy scientist ladies! We are the bestest :)

po said...

I hate talking about science, but I know I am a total bore because I love talking about politics!?

Kath Lockett said...

Helen, I've never met you in the flesh, but as a regular reader of this blog, I highly doubt that you are boring at dinner parties.

I *love* nerds: I married one!

Tamara said...

Wahahaha... that article is classic. Can't wait to tell hubby he's a sports nerd ;-)

Helen, the thing that sets you apart from the dinner table bores is quite simply your awesome sense of humour. That and the fact that you know how to "dumb it down" for those of us who are not super smart scientists without being patronising.

Susan said...

First I adore these fellas. They made me laugh more than I can remember. Then, it is wonderful to hear how scientists get to where they have to say what they have to say as that has to be quite an interesting story to tell!

Helen said...

Kirsty: indeed we are! We should start a club!

Po: You couldn't be boring if you tried! And politics are always... topical?

Kath: thanks! nerds rule!

Tamara: thanks! I hate thinking that I'm being patronising, although maybe if you married a sports-nerd you're more immune?

Susan: thanks!