Saturday, October 03, 2009

Leaving town

I've been very fortunate in that one of the masters students has gone
down to my field site to catch some different lizards- she has been
great about sending me a daily weather report- it's raining. A lot. So
I've been able to take my time packing and hanging out with friends
and stuff without the added guilt of missing trapping time!

I'm leaving today anyway, but as it's raining I get to spend an extra
few hours checking that I've got everything, shopping for random
toiletries that I usually forget and have to find in the middle of
nowhere and generally getting going.

Last night I wussed out of some serious goth-clubbing - seems I'm not
so brave without the girls there, plus there were some 'special'
things planned. Call me conservative, but there are some things out
there that I just don't want to know about. And I definitely don't
want to see them and scar my young and innocent psyche...

So I wound up at CG's house, just sitting and talking until I realised
that her house is still in a time-warp because it was almost midnight
and I had to get home and pack!

It was awesome though. I've known her for a long time, but recently
we've become much closer, and I've found that I can be very honest
with her, and she seems to like confiding in me as well. It's
something that I don't often manage with girls, so it's quite a new
experience! I do have it to some degree with La, but she doesn't often
confide in anyone without them pushing her to, so it's nice to just
let someone talk!

So ja, goodbye Joburg, I'll see you in December!

(although I will do my best to keep blogging from the middle of nowhere!)

6 comments:

po said...

Good luck with your lizards, I enjoy reading your updates from beyond!

Candice said...

So, I'm guessing you gave CCHQ a miss then? ;) I don't blame you!

See you soon! Have fun!

SuvvyGirl said...

Have a safe trip to your field site!! Hope the work goes well for you!

Kath Lockett said...

Best of luck with your trapping and don't forget to include some photos for us!

EEbEE said...

Don't forget to take salt...

i ALWAYS forget salt on my fieldtrips (yet somehow always remember arb stuff like chillies and dvds)

Tamara said...

Hope it goes well and that you keep us posted. May the lizards be many!