Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Real World

So I’m not very interesting at the moment. I’m pulling ridiculous hours in the lab and not making much progress – I got some bad news and had a major setback yesterday which means that time = essence and so on…

If you want adventure, you hold totally check out Leia’s blog where she’s writing about her recent trip to Malawi and the various catastrophes along the way.

In other news, I’ve decided that although the end of the PhD doesn’t really feel like it’s anywhere near, I have to start planning for it anyway, and I started applying for a job today! not that I’m in a rush, ,it’s just that the job of my dreams just became available.

I have never been more scared in my life! On one hand it’s the perfect job for me – involving the things I’m good at, like fieldwork, logistics, dealing with scientists and normal humans and generally just sorting stuff out. I’m perfect for it! On the other hand it’s the real world! I’m not sure what’s scarier – that they might not want me, or that they might hire me…

Anyone with tips on applying for jobs please let me know, I’ve never really done it before… I think I might even need to rewrite my CV as last time I used it I was about 18 and working at a pet-shop!

4 comments:

Leia said...

Good luck!! We're holding thumbs :)

Kath Lockett said...

Good luck Helen - just address each important 'criteria' listed in the job specifications (about a paragraph each) and a short, shiny covering letter. Go for it!

Tamara said...

YES - rewrite the CV!

Well done on taking that step. It is scary, but you're awesome and good at making first impressions (in my personal experience, anyway)so just give it your best.

The best idea is to take what they're looking for and explain why you are all those things (without repeating every word they've used).

All the best with the process.

EEbEE said...

the real world... tell me what it's like when you get there