Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Inspiring

  • This story. It makes me happy to think that normal people out there really can make a difference. It makes me kind of teary, but in the best possible way.
  • Having fun when you don’t expect it: last night I was exhausted, but dragged P1 out to have sushi with the labmates and had the most awesome time! Between the awful CD of cheesy ballads, sending stuff around on the conveyor-belt, my actually enjoying sushi for the first time (the totally did something different to the seaweed) and the dance-dance-revolution and bowling afterwards (there are videos, they’re not pretty) was just fantastic. And totally worth today’s zombiedom.
  • Working at the vet. Yes we have crazy cat ladies and all the rest, but we’ve also got a bunch of clients who have rescued dogs from appalling situations and do whatever is necessary to look after them. It makes me all warm and fuzzy :)
  • The kiddies: OK, so they whine and mope whenever I make them work, but I’m really enjoying my new group of student, who are quite vibrant people with interesting ideas and philosophies. While we do get their work done, we also end up in weird philosophical debates – which is what university is all about!
  • This guy:

I hope I am as energetic and uninhibited at that age!

Have a good Tuesday!

And stuff…

5 comments:

Tamara said...

Thanks for the intro to the Book of Awesome website. So cool!

We did sushi last night too. The secret is in the soy and wasabi sauce. Sushi's not very nice without it. I had kiwi sushi last night... was actually really nice.

Kath Lockett said...

I love all of your links - and I to hope that I can shake my funky butt well into my eighties!

Helen said...

Tamara: wasabi and soy sauce s the only reason I survived all sushi episodeds in the past... even vegetarian sushi I find unpleasant because the seaweed is kind of fishy-ish to me. I can't deal with things that smell stronger than they taste if that makes any sense? The place we went on Monday it wasn't strong at all and it was actually really nice!

Kath: Me too! Isn't he awesome!

Tamara said...

Go for Nigiri - no seaweed at all ;-)

Helen said...

Oooh, I will try that! I generally go for fashion-sadwiches becasue it's more rice than anything else. They're very unwieldy though and tend to fall apart in my soy sauce. Do they make nigiri with avo though? I'm trying to ease my way towrds the fishy stuff...